Increased energy. Beautiful skin. Happiness. The benefits of staying hydrated throughout the day are many, as water is essential for virtually every single one of our bodily functions. If you’re struggling to power through your week with focus and stamina, then drinking more water regularly throughout the day could be a simple path toward improved well-being.
Here are 5 benefits of staying hydrated - plus some tips on how to increase your water intake creatively so you can reap the rewards drinking more water offers.
Drinking clean, healthy water throughout the day can:
Promote cardiovascular health: When you’re dehydrated, your blood volume is lower, which makes it harder for your heart to pump blood and carry oxygen efficiently to your cells1. Drinking water makes it easier for your heart to function and, in turn, makes everything - from walking in the parking lot to exercising at the gym - easier.
Make it easier to maintain a healthy weight: Without water, our bodies cannot properly metabolize calories2. Drinking water is essential to burning fat. Additionally, food with high water content tends to fill us up quickly, making us feel full while hydrating us at the same time. Water-rich foods, such as fruit, vegetables, grains, and legumes, also contain fiber, which keeps us full longer. Water’s ability to help us feel and stay full while also helping us process our calories efficiently makes hydration a vital component of any weight loss or management strategy3.
Improve our mood. Did you know that drinking water can improve our mood4? A growing body of research suggests that even mild dehydration can have a negative impact on how we feel throughout the day mentally4. When we experience better digestion, improved cognitive function, and have more energy - all of which hydration can support - we are happier and healthier overall.
Protect our health. Some studies suggest that drinking enough water throughout the day can have not just short-term, but also long-term positive impacts on our health. Our liver and kidneys depend upon water to do their jobs and rid our bodies of toxins. Staying hydrated makes it easier for them to transport waste products in and out of cells, cleansing our body inside and out. Want a natural cleanse? Drink more water, and your organs will have what they need to do their jobs properly5.
Improve our appearance. Want to glow from the inside out? Proper hydration ensures that nutrients are delivered to cells, which keeps them plump. Rather than turning to a lotion or cream to get rid of wrinkles and fine lines, drinking more water may help as much or even more6.
Tips for Staying Hydrated
We get it - you are too busy to think about drinking water throughout the day! Here are some creative ways to make staying hydrated easier:
- Drink several ounces of water first thing in the morning: What better way to start the day than with several ounces of fresh, clean water7? It will help ensure you hydrate yourself before your day gets busy, making it easier to get your daily hydration needs met.
- Snack on frozen fruit. Tired of eating apples at your desk? Freeze some grapes and enjoy them as a refreshing snack when you need an afternoon pick-me-up. Fruit is filled with water and a great way to nourish and hydrate yourself at the same time.
- Keep a water filtration pitcher nearby: If the candy jar is closer than your water, you’re going to reach for the candy instead of the water your body needs to maintain a high energy level. Keep a water filtration pitcher near you at all times, with plenty of sliced cucumbers, limes, and mint in the refrigerator to make it that more enticing.
- 6 Benefits of Staying Hydrated. (2017, August 8). Retrieved from One Medical.
- Can Water Help You Lose Weight? (n.d). Retrieved from Medical News Today.
- 6 Reasons to Drink Water. (n.d). Retrieved from WebMD.
- Dr. Lisa Mosconi on Dehydration and the Brain. (2018, April 6). Retrieved by Aquagear.
- A New Way to Detox: Eat to Support 6 Organs of Elimination. (2020, February 6). Retrieved from Mind Body Green Health.
- 4 Reasons Drinking Water in Fall Keeps You Gorgeous. (2015, November 1). Retrieved by Popsugar.
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Drink Filtered Water in the Morning. (2018, August 23). Retrieved by Aquagear.