At Freeman Elementary School Family Fun Night in Flint, Michigan, face painters and candy vendors have set up booths for children to stop by.
But the longest line at the Family Fun Night? A blood test to check for lead.
Recent findings about lead contamination in tap water have rocked Flint’s families to their cores, and the problem is found to extend well beyond Flint.
In January 2016, an EPA taskforce has found that “there is no way that Flint is a one-off” and countless cities across the United States have been underreporting lead in their water as well.
Fortunately, the Aquagear Tap Water Filter Pitcher can protect your family today by removing 97.5% of lead from the tap water you and your children drink. Other filters like Brita HAVE NOT been proven to remove lead
The first step is to stay informed. Here are 6 facts about lead in tap water and how it affects our families.
- Lead most commonly enters tap water supplies from corrosive pipes, as in Flint, Michigan. gov
- No amount of exposure to lead is safe.
- Babies can get between40% and 60% of their exposure to lead by drinking formula mixed with contaminated water. com
- Each year 310,000 1 to 5 year olds are found to have lead in their blood. org
- At least 4 million households in the U.S. have children living in them who are being exposed to high levels of lead. gov
- Lead exposure permanently affects children’s brain development resulting in lower (IQ), shorter attention span, and increased antisocial behavior. World Health Organization